As the wedding approaches (only 3.5 months to go–Woot!), I have been organizing and packing away all the projects, decor, etc. There are several projects that don’t really need a tutorial, but I wanted to include here anyway. I actually use this blog in part to help keep myself organized.
A ring bearer box instead of pillow. We will not be putting our rings in this, my grand-nephew will only be 3 years old.
Supplies needed: unpainted wood or paper mache’ box, paint, ribbon, flower or other decor. If you wish to decorate the inside (which may not be needed if you won’t have the rings in there), you’ll need foam/styrofoam cut to fit the inside of the box and material or wide ribbon to cover the foam.
Total cost for this project was about $1-2, the box was $.90, plus a little ribbon, a few paper flowers, and paint.
The flower girls will be wearing these tutus I made from strips of tulle and crocheted bodice. They both will have a strapless slip underneath so that they have full coverage.
Each one is embellished differently so the girls will know their dress. On their request, I added the crystal strands coming down. They are 3 & 5 years old and want that extra sparkle.
[Please ignore the pillow and floor lamp I am using as dress forms 🙂 ]
Supplies needed. Lots of tulle. If you buy it on a spool (6″ to 12″ wide, it will save you a lot of cutting), a tube-top like bodice (I crotched mine, but lots of people use headbands), embellishments. Optional are the shoulder straps and belt sash. I actually used chair sashes for both. I had to make both of these last fall, and little ones grow fast. So I took their measurements, added a few inches (everywhere) and made the whole thing adjustable with elastic and ties (you can see this in the back of the dress where the shoulder straps are weaved through). There are lots of tutorials available for diy tutus such as this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIsdx62Qtlg
Total cost for this project (both tutus) was about $20–most of that in tulle, but I wanted them very full.
The flower girl pomanders match their dresses (I used the same yarn) and was one of the first DIY projects I did. I crocheted mini flowers (learn how here), beads and straight pins to attach to a 4″ styrofoam ball. The littles ones can toss these around all they want with no damage, except for dirt. The cost and supplies are: styrofoam ball ($2), yarn ($2), ribbon & pins ($2-5 depending on type).
Bridesmaids’ jewelry which is not their gift, but for them to keep. I’m still a novice at jewelry making, but I love how these turned out. Cost and supplies depends on the jewelry you are making. For this set, about $5 using sterling silver findings and beads, and glass/crystal beads.
When trying on my wedding dress, I fell in love with look of statement necklace with it. So I made this one. I still haven’t made the earrings, but I’ll get to work on that 🙂
I used Swarovski crystal pearls, crystals, and silver lined beads. Total cost was about $10-15.
My garter is another crochet project that I did early on. I have a simpler one without the crystals for tossing. You need yarn, beads, elastic, ribbon/embellishments. Total cost is about $3-5 (for both garters).
And finally, our cake topper. Yes that is Barbie and Ken, but they were the right size (2.5″ tall –they were ornaments in a previous life) and they are higher quality than the little plastic ones in the stores. Plus, they kind of look like us (fiancé is tall and thin, I have dark hair and bangs). I painted them to match our scheme, added a cat and hockey stick/puck to match our life. They are mounted on a 4″ wood round outlined in flat-back pearls. I blinged Barbie out a bit just because.
Cost and supplies: the Barbie/Ken ornament was $5. I had the little ceramic cat. The hockey stick is a popsicle stick cut and sanded to shape. The puck is a sweet tart painted black and sealed. The wood round is $1, paint, flat back pearls (about $1-2 if you don’t already have some), ribbon (I used one-quarter from a $3 spool).
So it is all packed up, semi-organized and waiting. If you want further details on any of these projects, leave a comment and I will answer the best I can.